As a partner investing $50, you’ll receive:
• Curated playlist of new songs I’m enjoying each month
• Collection of photos I’ve taken (and will take) available as wallpapers for your phone
• “Thank You” card designed by me and mailed to you, with space to write your own personal note to give someone in your life
$100 / year
As a partner investing $100, you’ll receive:
• All the perks of investing $50
• At least one secret, won’t-be-published-anywhere-else longform essay or short story, printed and mailed to you
• Behind-the-scenes, sporadically released podcast along with written monthly progress updates
• If you’re working on your own creative project that you’d like feedback on, we’ll schedule a half hour video call to talk through it together
For the next year (2020) I’ve decided to publish a handful of writing and design projects that – in the bonsai ethos – cultivate depth and beauty:
Bonsai newsletter – on life, culture, and design
The Valleyist – newsletter reflecting on technology and spirituality
Technicolor – online magazine celebrating multi-ethnic relationships through conversations and photos
None of these projects are behind a paywall – but if you'd like to help make these projects succeed, consider becoming a Bonsai partner!
What's with the name "Bonsai"?
The name came from this 4 minute clip of Chiako Yamamoto and her Bonsai trees. Watching Yamamoto-san at work and hearing the way she describes her bonsai trees makes my bones buzz and eyes water.
If you just muttered to yourself “whoah that’s a little weird,” I’d agree! I’m not a gardener or plant extraordinaire, so what is it about the bonsai that resonates so deeply?
I want to create – as Yamamoto-san describes – with a sense of “ritual and spirituality.” With a process full of intention and care. I want my output to be decidedly small but deeply rooted. To create things with longevity. And I want people to find beauty in what I make – in both the purpose and the aesthetic.
Why should I become a partner?
Good question If you don’t know me personally, you might enjoy becoming a partner if you:
• Resonate with the ethos of “cultivating depth and beauty”
• Love hearing people’s stories
• Generally find the topics of creativity, tech, culture, or spirituality interesting
• Believe in supporting independent creators
• Want to support and encourage me during the mornings, nights, and weekends it takes to write, edit, and create.
What is the short-term vision for Bonsai?
In the short term, I hope Bonsai becomes the way I can sustainably create meaningful side projects. I don’t know if this is the best way, but I'm committed to trying through 2020!
What is the long-term vision for Bonsai?
Long-term, my aspirations for the impact of Bonsai stretch beyond myself. I’d love for Bonsai to become a fund for independent creators who make with the same ethos of “cultivating depth and beauty.” Bonsai partners could help bring projects like a short-film, poem, or mural into the world. Wouldn’t that be lovely?
How will you use the money?
1. To cover costs (domain names, web hosting, etc.).
2. To purchase software and services that accelerate the creation process and improve the quality of content (transcribing interviews for Technicolor, commissioning photography, etc.)
3. To broaden the impact of Bonsai beyond just myself by enabling more independent creators to publish projects with similar ethos.
4. For creative inspiration (like a coffee or book).
Are payments secure?
I’d like to be a partner but neither payment option works for me, is there another option?
Of course! Please email me and we'll figure something out.